I saw this article at AJC. We really need to be careful. Raw food is always dangerous.
The Gwinnett County health inspector said the certified food safety manager wasn’t ensuring food was kept at the right temperatures, or utensils were cleaned properly and food stored correctly.
In addition, the manager could not identify the five illnesses that should be reported to the health department if an employee brings them to work.
Among other noted violations, an employee reached a bare hand into a vinegar mixture for sushi rice. Another employee washed a container and knife without using soap or sanitizer.
Some frozen salmon had not been kept at temperatures low enough to kill parasites. The inspector told them not to serve it raw or undercooked. The restaurant’s menus did not include a consumer advisory disclosing all raw or undercooked items.
Temperatures in the sushi cooler were not maintained at 41 degrees or below. And temperatures in another cooler were also too high, with some sushi being held there recorded at 63 degrees. Food was also stored improperly, with raw chicken and raw fish placed above vegetables.
A bowl of rice in water was left under a work table. And paper towels, which cannot come in contact with food, was being used to wrap fish and several other food items, according to the report.
When contacted, Wasabi management had no comment. The restaurant’s previous inspection scores are B’s, and the facility will be re-inspected in the next two weeks.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.